New french illustrator for Discworld

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Jul 26, 2008
France
www.vademecum-dm.com
(i don't know where i can do this post...)

If you're curious, the "small" edition of french Discworld have a new illustrator (for give "new blood" to the serie).
It's Marc Simonetti, who make a lot of over cover (Edding, Lovecraft, Martin, etc.)

The editor starts the new cover with Thief of Time (Procrastination in french) and Mort, Lords and Ladies and Night watch are the next for reedition.
So, the small edition's readers never know Paul Kidby's works... but, the work of Marc Simonetti is great too !

You can visit his website where you can see the covers and their making of :
http://kemar.blogs.3dvf.com/

(sorry for the size of the image)

and my website link at last lol :laugh: :
http://www.vademecum-dm.com/galeries.php?cat=simonetti

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Certainly interesting artwork. I'm not too sure who the very large lady is on the cover of Mort - is it Ysabelle? The skinny redhead doesn't fit with the description. Actually, for once Josh Kirby does a pretty good version of her I think.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Actually, Ysabelle is described as having silver hair and silver eyes and a slight suggestion of too much chocolate. Josh (to me) rarely gets the characters right, but he at least got close with her. :)

kemar

Constable
Sep 26, 2010
france
www.marcsimonetti.com
Hi,

Let me introduce myself: Marc Simonetti, and I'm the French illustrator who did those cover arts.

I'm glad you like the covers. About Ysabelle, I corrected her to make her somehow a little less fat. There are not that many physical description of Ysabel, but I based her "fatness" on a small part of Morte where Ysabell crying has something related to a sismic shake on a waterbed ( sorry about my english, and this sample is the translation of a translation)

Anyway, here's what it'll look like in the final:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
You are most welcome, kemar! I'm very impressed with your artwork. :laugh:

Regarding Ysabelle - there's a description of her in The Light Fantastic as well. Rincewind meets her when he goes to Death's house. ;)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Hi there Kemar - I've admired your work for a long time without knowing it was you (if you know what I mean!) :laugh:

Like the others I'm bowled over with your Discworld covers and also think that they are a really great fusion of the 2 English artists Josh Kirby (sadly no longer with us) and Paul Kidby in that you 'marry' the wild concept/environments of Josh with Paul's brilliant portraiture.

Ysabelle - like Tony says there's a rough description of her in Light Fantastic as well as the one that you've found in Mort. I think she's still too much on the heavy side because she's supposed to be 'frozen' at 16 years old I think, so she'd be more 'roly poly' something like this -

the girl in the dots. :laugh: So it's more like teenage 'puppy fat' meaning more 'curvy and cuddly' (like a puppy) than very overweight?

Really looking forward to seeing more artwork for Discworld from you!

User Menu

Newsletter