A new short story found! (Stroke of the Pen)

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
How weird! :eek: Molokov, I got the paperback (small size) from Dymocks on ... *checks receipt* ... 10 October, 2023. It's priced at $32.99.

It's not a hardcover, that's pretty clear. The spine isn't hard at all.

So what do I have? Is it a PB? Or a HB? (Or some weird mutant?) ;)

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Aha! Thank you, Molokov. :) I had no idea there was more than one type of paperback, but then again, I always buy books from bookstores.

I either go to big chains like Dymocks (which, unsurprisingly, have higher prices) or smaller second-hand bookstores, which -- alas! -- appear to be getting fewer and fewer ... or, as a last result, I go online to Booktopia or Abe Books. (But I only do that if there's a book I want, but it's not available locally).

I noticed, though, that both Booktopia and Abe Books have their drawbacks (at least compared to the late Book Depository. To wit:

1. Book Depository never charged S&H, and still charged reasonable prices for books, comparable to what we have in Australia.

2. Booktopia charges higher prices than BD, and also charges S&H on top of that.

3. Abe Books gives you the greatest range of books possible, but most prices are in USD, plus S&H on top of that. So, when you convert that to $AUD, that becomes quite high (but still comparable to Aussie prices).

BUT the downside of Abe Books is the delivery window. I had one instance where I ordered three books in March, and they didn't arrive 'til October. I also had one instance when a book didn't arrive at all, and I had to fight with the bookstore for a refund. :-(

Is there anywhere else I can try? :)

Is there anywhere else I can try? :)
Hijacking my own thread here...

When looking for books for online ordering, always use Booko - https://booko.com.au/ as it'll search a lot of online bookstores and give you ranked pricing including shipping.

We recently ordered all the new Discworld hardcovers (With the Joe McLaren pictures) in several lots, and to be honest, the most reliable supplier was - I hate to say it - Amazon. Booktopia were fine as long as the books were in stock (but anything they had to order took weeks and weeks and then was cancelled). Otherwise, I honestly can't say there's any good stores any more. I occasionally use Book Depository still (which is owned by Amazon, so prices are pretty comparable), and sometimes ordering a UK specific book from Blackwells (usually comics in my case) seems to be OK as well.

As for this 'Stroke of the Pen' paperback when it comes out in September, I'll probably read this new story online first and then decide if I want to have it in print with a second copy of the 'Stroke of the Pen' (as I already have the hardcover)

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hijacking my own thread here...

When looking for books for online ordering, always use Booko - https://booko.com.au/ as it'll search a lot of online bookstores and give you ranked pricing including shipping.

We recently ordered all the new Discworld hardcovers (With the Joe McLaren pictures) in several lots, and to be honest, the most reliable supplier was - I hate to say it - Amazon. Booktopia were fine as long as the books were in stock (but anything they had to order took weeks and weeks and then was cancelled). Otherwise, I honestly can't say there's any good stores any more. I occasionally use Book Depository still (which is owned by Amazon, so prices are pretty comparable), and sometimes ordering a UK specific book from Blackwells (usually comics in my case) seems to be OK as well.
Booko and Blackwells look interesting. I'll check them out. Thank you. :)

I have three questions:

1. Has Booktopia gone downhill as much as that (i.e. taking your money, letting you wait weeks, and then cancelling your order)? :-( That's disappointing. Or did I misunderstand you?

2. You mentioned using Book Depository. Is it even around, still??? I'm surprised (and confused). I gave it a try (bookdepository.com), and it redirected me to Amazon.

Huh, this is interesting ... bookdepository.com is gone, but https://bookdepositoryus.com/ (with the "us" ending) seems to exist. I'm surprised Amazon didn't try to shut them down. Or are they also part of Amazon?

3. Why do you "hate to say" that the most reliable supplier is Amazon? I've seen some articles about their ... ahem ... "questionable work practices" (understatement). But if Amazon (or at least one small part of it) was breaking the law, wouldn't they be reported to the police, or raided and shut down? *shrug* Sorry if that sounds naive, but it seems like that's the next logical step.

As for this 'Stroke of the Pen' paperback when it comes out in September, I'll probably read this new story online first and then decide if I want to have it in print with a second copy of the 'Stroke of the Pen' (as I already have the hardcover)
I have a copy as well, which I'm soon sending to my beautiful niece. No reason. Just to share Terry's magic. ;)

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Booko and Blackwells look interesting. I'll check them out. Thank you. :)

I have three questions:

1. Has Booktopia gone downhill as much as that (i.e. taking your money, letting you wait weeks, and then cancelling your order)? :-( That's disappointing. Or did I misunderstand you?

2. You mentioned using Book Depository. Is it even around, still??? I'm surprised (and confused). I gave it a try (bookdepository.com), and it redirected me to Amazon.

Huh, this is interesting ... bookdepository.com is gone, but https://bookdepositoryus.com/ (with the "us" ending) seems to exist. I'm surprised Amazon didn't try to shut them down. Or are they also part of Amazon?

3. Why do you "hate to say" that the most reliable supplier is Amazon? I've seen some articles about their ... ahem ... "questionable work practices" (understatement). But if Amazon (or at least one small part of it) was breaking the law, wouldn't they be reported to the police, or raided and shut down? *shrug* Sorry if that sounds naive, but it seems like that's the next logical step.

I have a copy as well, which I'm soon sending to my beautiful niece. No reason. Just to share Terry's magic. ;)
Rath I have on occasion used Blackwell's located in Oxford (large book chain of shops in the UK) to source American editions hardcovers of USA authors, while they may be a little cheaper in some cases, but they were a little slow in delivery IE 10 TO 14 DAYS for the UK, they also have an eBay shop, which I sometimes had to use as the UK publishers had bought the rights so they could not sell it from their online shop.

User Menu

Newsletter